Monday, December 21, 2009

Still have my hair = Solo parent trip success





With poor Eric still sick in bed, the girls and I boldly ventured out as a threesome. It actually went really well. Medora was a big help, and Lian was a trooper too. I included a picture below, so you can see that I really do still have my hair.

First we visited the Temple of Six Banyan Trees, and the girls received a blessing from a Buddhist monk.




Then we went to the Chen House, which was actually a museum. The architectural detailing on the roof was so cool!
The girls weren't into this much, so instead, we sat on a stools at a small table and had a pretend tea party. At first, we were pantomiming filling out tea cups and drinking them, but it was clear Lian had no idea what Medora and I were doing. So I drew tea cups on a small scraps of paper and then Lian got the idea. For some reason, this drew the attention of a Chinese woman, who stopped to watch what we were doing. Next thing I knew, she was hollering and waving others over to see and within 60 seconds we had 20+ Chinese women crowding around us. I must have looked a little alarmed, as they all started giving us thumbs-up signs. So I guess they approved of our little tea party.

After the Chen House, we went to a "arts and crafts store". I had fully anticipated this would be a disaster, but it was totally fine. The girls were careful as we passed by the breakable stuff at the front of the store, and the back section had goods they could touch - fans, dresses, etc. I planned on buying each girl a little something, based on what interested them. Lian saw a baby doll on a shelf and shreiked with excitement. She ran for it, grabbed it, and immediately started rocking it. It was wildly overpriced ($20 US) but I wasn't going to quibble - she was clearly delighted to have a baby doll. Medora chose a folding fan, which is made of fabric so it should be fairly durable.

Poor Eric felt rotten all day. I don't think he left the hotel room at all.

No comments: