Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stinky Tofu with Shrimp (subtitled the lunch that almost was)


Today for lunch, Eric and Medora shared a clam soup. [side note: removing clams from their shells using only stainless steel chopsticks is Advanced.] In typical Medora fashion, she powered down all the clams with relish. Our guide had "Ox intestines soup" and I had "mixed vegetable soup". Eric tried some of the ox intestines soup and declared it tasty. If I'd truly been adventurous I would have ordered "Stinky Tofu with Shrimp". But I am a wimp.

The picture is of Medora's dessert. She saw this pictured on the menu and just had to have it. The left ice cream , which looked like it might be cookies and cream, turned out to some kind of bean (red bean maybe), the middle was mango, and the right was green tea. She ate the green tea and bean ice creams, and wrinkled her nose on the mango. I obligingly helped clean that one up - gee, what are moms for?

2 comments:

Kay Peltier said...

Tara - Your posts are very entertaining, and the photos are terrific! I'm enjoying them immensely! It sounds like everyone is having a fine time despite rain, cold, and even snow. I'll be thinking about everyone on the Big Day tomorrow - I suppose it's already tomorrow over there.
Love,
Nana

Papa John said...

I enjoy the food photos. So artful. Are many of these restaurants on the tourist circuit? Are they catering to locals and visitors?

Have you noticed any menu items that are attempts to emulate other national dishes? Have you seen any Sunrise Noodles with Sauce of Cow Curd?